Saturday, February 18, 2006

Piri on Quartin


Piri - Vocês Querem Mate Quartin LP-RSQ3 (1970)

This release typifies the sound of Roberto Quartin's eponymous and short lived label. Dark, brooding jazz but always tight and groovy.

Again, a crack troop has been assembled here. Accompanying Piri's guitar and gentle vocals are Danilo Caymmi and Paulinho Jobim on flute, Jorge Marinho on bass, the ubiquitous Wilson Das Neves on drums and Juquinha on percussion. Tita also adds guest vocals.

Elements of bossa, psych, funk & folk are to be had on these 10 originals all composed by Piri himself.

1) Reza Brava
2) As Incríveis Peripécias De Danilo
3) O Som Do Roberto
4) Sombra Morta
5) Vocês Querem Mate?
6) Cupído Esculpido
7) Chão Vermelho
8) Lágrimas
9) Espiral
10) Porta Do Sol


More from Quartin's 60s incarnation 'Forma' Records coming soon...

http://rapidshare.de/files/13543939/Piri_-_Voc_s_Querem_Mate__1970_.zip.html


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this,just come across this blog,awesome.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the great posts...
I'm really getting into the brazillian psych lately, keep it coming!

Anonymous said...

another fine share, Thanks & Cheers!

www.LanceTooks.com said...

Hey, Q...
I'm unfamiliar with 99 percent of the discs you've shared, and I'm enjoying 100 percent of it. (Chaves, I've heard... but not that particular disc.) Thanks very much for all of it... I'm learning a lot from your choices.
I figure it's a longshot, but have you any Gonzaguinha or Mariela Santiago? I enjoy Brasilian music and have found most of their solo recordings tougher to find than their respective (& legendary) fathers... & I've never been to Brasil. Just curious.
best & thanks again, LT

Anonymous said...

This is excellent, thanks! I don't know much about Brazilian music in the 70s, but the sound of much of this album reminded me of one of my favourites, Sonho 70 by Egberto Gismonti, which is perhaps more melody-based. Perhaps it's just a coincidence of time, place and sentiment, or perhaps there is some overall stylistic movement or influence connecting these albums, I don't know. But it thrills me to imagine that more of this stuff is probably out there waiting for my ears.

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to downloading this. Jose Mauros "Obnoxius" on the quartin label is one of my all time favorite brazilian albums, somewhere between marcos valle and milton nascimento,edu lobo. He sadly only released one album (or?) before he, according to rumours, died, either of drugs or of getting caught by the brazilian dictatorship. Or ? excellent blog by the way.

Calle

mvcosta said...

Great posts. All hard to find records and great sound. I've never heard about this one before and was really amazed when got to listen.
Thanks and keep on.

Anonymous said...

any chance of a re-up
Anything from Quartin is exciting...

Anonymous said...

I'll add my voice too and ask for a RE-UP as well

more forma / quartin coming ? excited

Anonymous said...

add another request for reseed ...

J Thyme...kind said...

This is a goodie.

Clark said...

O have to hear this! Please repost!

Anonymous said...

For the ones that would like to here music from Brazil, I´ll leave here a link to this album. But, on this site, you can find a lot more jewels from brazillian music. Hugs, a brazillian friend.
http://abracadabra-br2.blogspot.com/2010/02/piry-reis-voces-querem-mate-1970.html